Happy Easter. That special time of year when I look at hats and baskets and pastels and know that spring is near. The time of year when I am constantly cold, because I want summer NOW so I quit wearing socks and coats and therefore end up with frost bite, cause the weather is not all that different from March when I wore wool socks and scarves and coats.
Today is the beginning of a new time, as most days should be, “This is the first day of the rest of your life” and all that. I am going to try to take this day and turn it into a beginning. I am going to make a list of the things that I want in life. I am going to redo the to-do of my life. I am 50 and I realize I have done a lot of what I set out to do as I sat in school daydreaming out the window of my 4th grade class.
Here’s some of the highlights:
1. went to and lived in Australia.
2. had a reading for a play I wrote.
3. got published.
4. bought a house.
5. had a house with a large garden and yard, front porch and claw foot tub, and lilac tree.
6. ran my own business.
7. found a job that I can do easily and enjoy going to (for 11 years in July)
8. traveled to most of the places on my list.
still need: Galapagos, Japan, Scotland, the Spain/South of France/Milano tour, Greece, Iceland.
9. been to Hawaii twice.
10. been to Disneyworld.
11. own outright the perfect Toyota truck, like the land cruiser I wanted all growing up with the side door.
12. have enough money most of the time to feel safe.
I am not putting on my list the waterbed, microwave, bent wood rocker, and perfect Denim outfit with the smiley face shirt and matching hat, because those were the dreams of a 10 year old in the 70’s. But the other dreams of that 10 year old have happened.
What hasn’t happened:
1. living on the moon with John Travolta.
2. John Denver letting me sing with him on stage.
3. meeting Gene Kelly.
4.wiggling my nose like Samantha Stevens on Bewitch and suddenly being skinny.
5.being the next Carol Burnett on TV, Broadway and the movies.
6. having all the men who I have had crushes on all my life have crushes on me. (and/or not be gay)
7. growing old with Kris.
8.winning the lottery.
9. being Erma Bombeck.
In general, most of what I wanted I have come to terms with. I am thrilled that I have done all I have done so far. Now all I have to do is look at the next 50 years and plan what I will do with them.
It’s always good to have a list.